Welcome to our website !

Coping With Being Homesick At Uni | Uni Guide Series

By 09:00 , ,


This post doesn't necessarily only apply to those of you who have gone to uni, it might also be relevant to those of you who moved away from home. From my experience moving away from home has been one of the toughest things I've ever done, but it's also one of the best. I'm now in my second year but this time last year I was the most homesick I've been.

The first few weeks can be the hardest because you're still trying to settle in, make friends, be yourself, finding your way around uni and also try not to miss home. Here are a few tips that I hope will help. 

1. Keep yourself busy
This may seem like an obvious one, but if you keep yourself busy then you won't have time to think about how much you're missing home. 

2. Keep in contact
It can be really difficult to move away from everyone you love, but luckily there are so many ways to keep in contact. FaceTime, Skype, Facebook, Twitter and obviously texting. I FaceTime my Mum a few times a week and I text her everyday and for me, this helps me as I know she's still there and only a few seconds away on the phone. I text my best friends from home a lot and we'll regularly send Snapchats (mostly ugly ones) and drunk phone calls too.

3. Everyone feels the same
Remember, everyone around you will be feeling the same but no one will want to admit it. Speak to your friends about it and I can almost guarantee they will say they feel the same, but they didn't want the first to say it.

4. Speak to your uni
If you're really struggling with it, speak to someone at your uni about it. There'll most likely be a pastoral care adviser there who will be able to help you through it.

5. It's okay to miss home & it's okay to cry
This is one of the most important things to remember. Moving away from home is difficult, and you need to remember that it's okay to be homesick and it's okay to cry about it. Sometimes crying helps release it all from your system.


Do you have any other tips for coping with homesickness?


You Might Also Like

0 comments